1997-12-03 - Mexico City
Tour: Popmart
Songs played: 25
Audio recordings: 1
Videos: 1
  1. that's alright its tuesday, we're on-topic
  2. Originally posted by MattG:[..]

i dont see how you watch or capture a stream without an internet connection but ive adjusted our schedule for dean
    You only need the internet connection to begin with then you can watch it as many times as you like after that.
  3. My mod duties are specifically restricted to standing watch for the return of bobplaysthedrums, truthfully
  4. I'm personally really happy with what they're doing. Upscaling old concert films is exactly what I wanted - and it's free! They were never going to open their vaults on YouTube. If they ever did something like that it would be for subscribers on U2.com.
  5. Originally posted by deanallison:I do still think it’s worth seeing the good in these upgrades. It wasn’t so long ago people were complaining at Berlin being released on dvd not blu Ray so visual quality does matter to a lot of fans. They’re doing this for free, we’re getting better picture quality and not having to fork out for it, I really don’t think there’s any negative to these streams at all. I think people are complaining more about the side issue of their lack of live releases, admittedly it’s a related side issue but that complaint shouldn’t take away from the positive which is free upgrades.

Well said Dean.
  6. old concerts - tick
    upgrade in quality (yeh the upgrade will be really noticeable when you're watching it on a phone-sized screen on which the people they're trying to attract will be viewing it) - tick
    free (besides the paid adverts) on youtube - tick

extremely lazy by the band especially since they've had more time to do something more interesting than ever before - tick fucking tock
  7. @SJKamal and others, to further beat this horse,

Counterpoint: the more support they get for rehashing old material for a third? fourth? release of its content, the more likely they are to think this is perfectly satisfactory in terms of marketing their live material.

Nobody has ever disputed that the PopMart Mexico show is good or worthy of owning and watching. Being satisfied with this is like giving the ATYCLB box a thumbs up because they remastered the album. Total whiff on opportunity and its sad.

I watch PopMart regularly including the upscale that was randomly done by a fan with no nod from U2 whatsoever, so this doesn't move the needle at all. Hardly proud of them for trying the exact same trick.
  8. Video is a very bad format but convenient for the time that the shows were shot in.
  9. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:old concerts fan favourite concerts being upscaled and shown for free - tick
    upgrade in quality (yeh the upgrade will be really noticeable when you're watching it on a phone-sized screen on which the people they're trying to attract will be viewing it) yes the upgrade will be noticeable when I'm watching directly on a 4K TV. - tick
    free (besides the paid adverts completely free because I have YouTube Premium so no paid adverts) on youtube - tick

Fixed it (for me anyway).
  10. Originally posted by MattG:@SJKamal and others, to further beat this horse,

Counterpoint: the more support they get for rehashing old material for a third? fourth? release of its content, the more likely they are to think this is perfectly satisfactory in terms of marketing their live material.

Nobody has ever disputed that the PopMart Mexico show is good or worthy of owning and watching. Being satisfied with this is like giving the ATYCLB box a thumbs up because they remastered the album. Total whiff on opportunity and its sad.

I watch PopMart regularly including the upscale that was randomly done by a fan with no nod from U2 whatsoever, so this doesn't move the needle at all. Hardly proud of them for trying the exact same trick.
    I understand your point but I don't think it really applies here.

When have they (U2) ever officially upscaled Slane, Mexico and Red Rocks and shown it for free? They haven't.

If next year they stream the same upscaled shows then yes you have a point.