1. I don't know.. seeing a scripted series on U2's formation and history seems odd to me. I mean, they're still a band..I think I'd rather see something using footage of the band, or maybe something narrated with interviews..I can already picture some actor posting up a note on the bulletin board looking to start a band, or another actor playing Bono arguing with his dad.. IDK, I'm in the "make new music and not stuff like this" camp, I guess
  2. Originally posted by bonoschild:I don't know.. seeing a scripted series on U2's formation and history seems odd to me. I mean, they're still a band..I think I'd rather see something using footage of the band, or maybe something narrated with interviews..I can already picture some actor posting up a note on the bulletin board looking to start a band, or another actor playing Bono arguing with his dad.. IDK, I'm in the "make new music and not stuff like this" camp, I guess
    I totally agree. Though I personally don't really have an issue with a biopic per se, I fear that it's going to be another long distraction (hello Spider-Man?) that will again keep them from working on new stuff, and it may be a way to continue trying to be 'relevant' - whatever that means.
    And yes, there's a huge lack of actual good archive/documentary material on them, which is a shame. I'm sure some stuff must exist from the 80s and 90s, that would be much more interesting.
  3. I think many of us underestimate what this series can mean for U2 in terms of legacy. Imagine it only gaining a fraction of the popularity of something like The Crown (<5% or so). That's huge. It could attract many new fans, and maybe more importantly, change the overall perception that non-fans have with the band.

We all know that Bono is not heralded as the saviour of the world by many, more seen like a tax evader and hypocrite. But if those people see the world he grew up in, his mother's dead, and his genuineness in trying to make the world a better place. Maybe some people would even start to like him

It might be something that alters the course of U2's career forever. We all know how big films or series can make or break people forever. It's how people get their view on the world.
  4. I’m intrigued by it and will watch it. If it got canned tomorrow though, I wouldn’t be fussed. Like César says, it’ll be fun to spot the exaggerations and use of artistic license.
  5. How 'warts and all' will it be though, considering the proposed scriptwriter and the band sanctioning it and taking into account how obsessively they seek to control their narrative. Also, the guys jealously guard their privacy (a bit like HRH!!,) so for something that will require dramatic tension to succeed, one wonders how real it can be, even taking poetic/creative licence into account. Like, if it goes deep and shows us unexpected stuff and truly lifts the veil, then it could be interesting. But if yer man who did the Queen biopic takes a similar approach as he took to gaywashing Freddy and real personalities remain unrevealed, then it could well end up underwhelming. So much depends on the scriptwriter, show runner approach, etc.
  6. I have very few thoughts on this other than wondering about why it might exist. Who wants it? People typically like U2 or loathe them. Those that like U2 will rip this show to threads and those with no interest in U2 is likely to go out of their way to watch it.

I look forward to it either way.
  7. There are so many variables with a tv show, but there is potentially some good subject matter for a decent write to work with once they've done the rags to riches - baby band to world domination season. Will they be brave enough to cover Adam's descent into hell post Naomi Campbell and paying for hookers on his credit card or Bono and Andrea Corr? Could be something for all the family beyond the diehards!
  8. Originally posted by TheRefugee:There are so many variables with a tv show, but there is potentially some good subject matter for a decent write to work with once they've done the rags to riches - baby band to world domination season. Will they be brave enough to cover Adam's descent into hell post Naomi Campbell and paying for hookers on his credit card or Bono and Andrea Corr? Could be something for all the family beyond the diehards!
    Woah, this is going to be like F1 Drive to Survive, isn't it?
  9. Ha! You’d hope they’d be aiming for something a little higher brow than that.
  10. Uninterested in this.