U2:UV Achtung Baby at the Sphere
Legs (1): 2023-2024
Shows: 40
Tickets:
  1. I think with as much negativity in the world right now (inflation, interest rates, war, COVID Fatigue etc.) I do find it frustrating that I come to a fan-site for a band that has actually brought me so much joy, and there's often just more of it. This porridge is too hot, this porridge is too cold......I am so happy that there is even the potential for another U2 show / event. I like that we got Your Song Saved My Life because it was a new U2 song. I like that there's an autobiography coming. And I even like that there's the potential for a Vegas residency. And who are we to judge or state what they should be doing? I for one am not a 62 year old Rock Star who's mom died at 14, and found solace in a punk band and went from there; that's not my story, so who's to say that at this point I wouldn't myself go "y'know what, a residency for 3 months, or even a year in Vegas sounds great right about now". And maybe, just MAYBE, it will be awesome. So I'm focusing on that because U2 has been the source of much joy in my life, and I won't let the bastards grind me down. Rant over.
  2. Also, @u2wanderer1 I just read that now it seems that I'm implying that your comment itself was negative - it just happened to be the comment I replied to in the thread!
  3. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:[..]
    I think with as much negativity in the world right now (inflation, interest rates, war, COVID Fatigue etc.) I do find it frustrating that I come to a fan-site for a band that has actually brought me so much joy, and there's often just more of it. This porridge is too hot, this porridge is too cold......I am so happy that there is even the potential for another U2 show / event. I like that we got Your Song Saved My Life because it was a new U2 song. I like that there's an autobiography coming. And I even like that there's the potential for a Vegas residency. And who are we to judge or state what they should be doing? I for one am not a 62 year old Rock Star who's mom died at 14, and found solace in a punk band and went from there; that's not my story, so who's to say that at this point I wouldn't myself go "y'know what, a residency for 3 months, or even a year in Vegas sounds great right about now". And maybe, just MAYBE, it will be awesome. So I'm focusing on that because U2 has been the source of much joy in my life, and I won't let the bastards grind me down. Rant over.
  4. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:[..]
    I think with as much negativity in the world right now (inflation, interest rates, war, COVID Fatigue etc.) I do find it frustrating that I come to a fan-site for a band that has actually brought me so much joy, and there's often just more of it. This porridge is too hot, this porridge is too cold......I am so happy that there is even the potential for another U2 show / event. I like that we got Your Song Saved My Life because it was a new U2 song. I like that there's an autobiography coming. And I even like that there's the potential for a Vegas residency. And who are we to judge or state what they should be doing? I for one am not a 62 year old Rock Star who's mom died at 14, and found solace in a punk band and went from there; that's not my story, so who's to say that at this point I wouldn't myself go "y'know what, a residency for 3 months, or even a year in Vegas sounds great right about now". And maybe, just MAYBE, it will be awesome. So I'm focusing on that because U2 has been the source of much joy in my life, and I won't let the bastards grind me down. Rant over.
    I’m 100% there with you. Still a big U2 fan. Still enjoy more of what they do than I don’t. Songs of Innocence was a low point for me, but I felt Songs of Experience was a great return. If anything I’ve become more of a fan after a couple of stints away and learning I can take a break and I don’t need to feel like I have to do anything.

I’ve long since stopped worrying that I have to like everything that they do. And I do try to put more energy into what I do enjoy than dwell on what I don’t.

I’m very happy they are still putting work out. That they are still touring. That after all this time there is still something to be had. And I don’t think they will keep going forever, so I do try to enjoy this while it’s still here.

I for one am super excited to see what they did with 40 songs while in lockdown. I’m excited about the book. I ordered the audiobook the day it was announced and May even book a day off work to listen. And I enjoyed the hell out of those 2019 shows I saw in Japan, and I’ll be there when they do more whether it be a stadium, or the sphere in Las Vegas which sounds like it’s just going to be stunning from a technological aspect. Even if U2 doesn’t play there I might go see something else there…
  5. Good points
  6. Originally posted by mattfromcanada:[..]
    Well said!

There could be U2 shows next year! We don’t know how many more we will get so I am pumped!!
  7. At least with Vegas, if there’s a cancellation, you know there’ll easily be something else to do as an alternative.
  8. I’m seriously hoping for this residency. I’m not resilient enough to do all that travelling in less user-friendly places anymore. Yes, LV might epitomize what’s wrong with the world and all of the excesses us humans have made part of our everyday lives but you can still make a hell of a trip around a U2 show. Vegas is pretty “easy.”
  9. hope they play Fez: Being Born
  10. Actually super excited for this! The venue is epic and I had already been hearing about this but had 0 idea that U2 of all people would ever be playing this venue. Cautiously optimistic that this residency will be about a show or two every other week at least, so they can ideally showcase and switch up the setlist regularly. And maybe they'll work on new material live while there. Also I tend to go to Vegas twice a year so I'll definitely be planning on seeing them there if this really does happen!

Edit: The actual venue and techonlogical aspect of this sounds really fascinating. Kind of makes sense to me with the whole carbon footprint thing, and since they haven't played live in 3 years they honeslty need the safety of a venue that they can call "home" for a few months.
  11. Originally posted by TheRefugee:When I hear talk of a Vegas residency I can’t help but think of The Fly switching channels and remarking that he’s definitely going through his “Fat Elvis period”. It might not be a tragedy, but it certainly is a little sad.

From the few articles I've seen, I get the impression this venue is going to be something out of the ordinary in terms of design and technology, so the operators will want to make a big statement when it's launched. When you think about all of the new or biggest modern artists of the moment they could go for, say Kanye, or Ed Sheeran, Lady Gaga, Harry Styles or whoever, and then realise they wanted U2 - that's a pretty strong endorsement of the band and certainly far from sad. From the band's perspective, it would be a good fit and natural progression. From ZooTV to Elevation, 360 and i+e, they have always pushed the boundaries of concert technology and this may well be another step.
  12. With a new album now expected late 2023 - does this mean that these shows will be one off promo shows with a full tour in 2024?