1. Coldplay surpassing U2. "..and the times, they are changing.."
  2. Still bad sound in the Arena. Not suitable for concerts. Anything better than the JC arena.
  3. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]
    Right. Coldplay have now surpassed U2’s drawing power, at least in Europe and South America. U2 could not do what Coldplay have done on this current tour.
    Despite whatever Coldplay have done to eclipse U2 in your eyes for their recent tour, I think U2 have had the better career. Had U2 been from London, and Coldplay been from Dublin...perhaps it may have been interesting, but I don't want to imagine that at all. Coldplay are a generation younger, and I've never really enjoyed much of their music. I think in England, Coldplay have had more huge releases than U2, and part of that may be some of the silly backlash against U2 about their heritage and Bono's ego, and less to do with the quality of their music. Coldplay to me sounded more like a mash up taking the worst of Radiohead and U2, and somehow making it work. I can respect them, but Yellow was probably the start and the finish of me liking Coldplay. They're better than Oasis, but that's not really saying much. I'd rather listen to the worst Kool & The Gang album before listening to ten minutes of Oasis lol.

Of course, the worst Kool & The Gang album would be anything after 1999 without JT Taylor. Anything from 1986 before, or 1996 is prime Kool & The Gang. I can't ever remember mentioning Kool & The Gang on any music site before. They actually totally kicked ass from 1971-1987, and 1995-1999. I would have been the only one I know who would have wanted a Kool/U2 double bill. I actually attended the Kool & The Gang/Van Halen tour, but sadly, without JT Taylor on vocals, The Gang's show paled in comparison to the mighty Van Halen. This has got to be my worst post ever. Maybe REM and U2 should tour together, as I maintain that REM needs to vindicate themselves for not doing a farewell tour, and for being so full of themselves that they had to break up.
  4. U2’s career pisses all over Coldplay’s, I agree. There is nothing Coldplay have done that I dont think U2 have done better. However, in terms of sheer ticket selling power, they have surpassed what U2 we’re doing even at their peak(s). Their current tour will easily surpass the 360 tour. Their numbers in Europe and South America are staggering.
  5. I also believe that U2's body of work far outshines Coldplay, but Coldplay has had some good stuff. But I can't fathom how their ticket sales are so astronomical?? Is the general public that hungry for live music? I think being a bit younger than U2 is in their favor as well, perhaps the kids relate to them more these days.. don't worry, Chris Martin - your Vegas days are coming too 🤣
  6. Originally posted by pleasegone:[..]
    Despite whatever Coldplay have done to eclipse U2 in your eyes for their recent tour, I think U2 have had the better career. Had U2 been from London, and Coldplay been from Dublin...perhaps it may have been interesting, but I don't want to imagine that at all. Coldplay are a generation younger, and I've never really enjoyed much of their music. I think in England, Coldplay have had more huge releases than U2, and part of that may be some of the silly backlash against U2 about their heritage and Bono's ego, and less to do with the quality of their music. Coldplay to me sounded more like a mash up taking the worst of Radiohead and U2, and somehow making it work. I can respect them, but Yellow was probably the start and the finish of me liking Coldplay. They're better than Oasis, but that's not really saying much. I'd rather listen to the worst Kool & The Gang album before listening to ten minutes of Oasis lol.

Of course, the worst Kool & The Gang album would be anything after 1999 without JT Taylor. Anything from 1986 before, or 1996 is prime Kool & The Gang. I can't ever remember mentioning Kool & The Gang on any music site before. They actually totally kicked ass from 1971-1987, and 1995-1999. I would have been the only one I know who would have wanted a Kool/U2 double bill. I actually attended the Kool & The Gang/Van Halen tour, but sadly, without JT Taylor on vocals, The Gang's show paled in comparison to the mighty Van Halen. This has got to be my worst post ever. Maybe REM and U2 should tour together, as I maintain that REM needs to vindicate themselves for not doing a farewell tour, and for being so full of themselves that they had to break up.
    Wow
  7. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]
    Right. Coldplay have now surpassed U2’s drawing power, at least in Europe and South America. U2 could not do what Coldplay have done on this current tour.

U2

Joshua Tree : approximately 3 million attendees
    Zoo TV Tour attendance : 5.3 million
    PopMart Tour : 3.9 million
    Elevation tour : 2.1 million
    Vertigo tour : 4.6 million

Total : 18.9 million

Coldplay

Twisted Logic Tour (2005-07) : 1 million
    Viva la Vida Tour (2008-10) : 2.8 million
    Mylo Xyloto Tour (2011-2012) : 2.4 million
    A Head Full of Dreams Tour (2016-17) : 5.4 million

Total : 11.6 million

Music of the Spheres World Tour (2022-) : probably 3 million now...

(Source wikipédia)

Coldplay could not do what U2 have done on the 360° tour, not yet...
  8. Why does it always end up with a subjective discussion about Coldplay, where personal opinion over-rules facts. I'm not a fan of their most recent stuff but when I look and see how many shows they have done, I have to give them credit. You can't deny they are huge right now. When did U2 ever do 6 shows at Wembley Stadium or schedule 4 shows in Santiago Chile?
  9. How about 10 shows at River Plate in BUenos Aires!!?? Crazy. Their sales figures from Mexico and South America are off the charts. Literally nobody has sold that many tickets on that continent.

There is no doubt in my mind this Coldplay tour will surpass the 360 tour and Ed Sheeran’s new record. and claim the title for highest grossing/highest attended tour. This tour will probably last into 2024.

I love Coldplays output from Parachutes - Viva La Vida. I used to be a huge fan. But everything after that has not been my cup of tea (although I did like Everyday Life). I would still go see them if they came close to me.
  10. Originally posted by UVII:[..]

U2

Joshua Tree : approximately 3 million attendees
    Zoo TV Tour attendance : 5.3 million
    PopMart Tour : 3.9 million
    Elevation tour : 2.1 million
    Vertigo tour : 4.6 million

Total : 18.9 million

Coldplay

Twisted Logic Tour (2005-07) : 1 million
    Viva la Vida Tour (2008-10) : 2.8 million
    Mylo Xyloto Tour (2011-2012) : 2.4 million
    A Head Full of Dreams Tour (2016-17) : 5.4 million

Total : 11.6 million

Music of the Spheres World Tour (2022-) : probably 3 million now...

(Source wikipédia)

Coldplay could not do what U2 have done on the 360° tour, not yet...
    Plus E/I plus I/E plus 350 pkus JT 2017/19

No, Coldplay are not surpassing U2
  11. The OP compared the total crowd attendance from five U2 tours against four by Coldplay, so that's a biased result straight away.

Coldplay formed in 1996, so the Head Full of Dreams tour is around 20 years later, Popmart, Elevation and Vertigo all happened more than 20 years after U2 formed, so it's another instance of not comparing like-for-like.

By all means, feel free to make a point that U2 is better than Coldplay or vice versa, but at least do it with some logic and even-handedness.