1. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Sorry Dan, however I wasn't only referring to you.

Yes, the cockatoo lyric seems rather silly and out of place

But it might make sense if this theory is correct:

I think the salesman at the door in the first verse, is selling the cockatoo, and marketing it by claiming that having the bird as a companion will extend your lifespan. (Some research done with pets & their owners has shown this). And the words "stay alive a bit longer" also support this.

I think it's possible this song arose from an anecdote where either Bono or one of the band etc. had the experience of meeting a cockatoo selling salesman claiming the bird would make you 'live a bit longer'. Because it's a rather unique situation to invent.

That as may be. I just still don't like the way the verse is constructed. At this point. I suspect, although with no complete basis in truth, that this may affect others enjoyment of the song too.

2. It's a bit like BD, more rock and more challenging elements that are harder to like. More in theme/tone rather than sound.

It occupies the same space on this album that BD did on ATYCLB for me though.
  3. Originally posted by djrlewis:[..]

That as may be. I just still don't like the way the verse is constructed. At this point. I suspect, although with no complete basis in truth, that this may affect others enjoyment of the song too.

Yeah, some people (like my brother) dislike the way he rattles off the verses, brands it as sounding silly.

But I think it gives 'life' to the lyrics (especially these particular lyrics) in a way that a more traditional way of singing would not be able to do.

And btw it's a bit ironic that the vet dislikes the line with an Australian bird in it.

4. Being a vet doesn't make Dan an animal activist.
  5. I think it's placed definitely on the punk side of rock. Which could make some sense because punk was what the U2 members heard when they were young - and punk is one of the root origins of U2's music, especially on the first albums. It's not that they go back there but it feels like like the finding and celebrating of the young man inside of oneself. The song sounds to me like feeling young. Which could add some more sense to the cockatoo incident - because you don't need a cockatoo to lengthen your life if you already feel young, strong and light- hearted without one.

At least that's how it feels to me. Does that make any sense?

Alex
  6. Originally posted by djrlewis:[..]

Verses are horrible for me. Choruses and the ending much better. I suspect it will grow on me. But cockatoo's? Seriously? Oh well.

It's actually one of my favourite lines on the album, Bono being his cheeky best.

For all we know, Cockatoo could be some kind of buzz word he uses meaning something completely different.

7. this song has just gone up a notch after seeing the lve performance
  8. only negative was the pre-recorded piano. Either ditch it or get Terry on the road full time

9. Couldn't ask Bono to do it, could we?