1. Originally posted by jpb:based on the RS article, it sounds like they've abandoned the idea of getting Songs of Ascent out by the end of the year. I'm guessing best case is we'll see a new album next Fall given they have tour dates confirmed for late 2010.

Until then they'll be at a completely different place, and they'll easily abandon the half- begun project completely. I'd rather have them finish it up before it's old news.

Alex
  2. When are we thinking there will be a new single then? Maybe toward the end of January like "Get On Your Boots? Thoughts on another single from No Line On The Horizon?
  3. Originally posted by kris_smith87:When are we thinking there will be a new single then? Maybe toward the end of January like "Get On Your Boots? Thoughts on another single from No Line On The Horizon?

Should be Every Breaking Wave
  4. I hope for no singles.

Probably wont happen, would be too good

5. As is what Bono told Rollingstone, the first single.

I'd like they didn't release any singles from this album - but then if people want it to be played on the mainstream radio stations and score a number one hit, you need singles, or at least a way to flog your new songs. Unless of course the song on the single is a dumbass choice - like Get On Your Boots, then people will hear it but it won't work as they'd like. As much as I love the song, unfortunately it seems a lot of people thought U2 had gone camp and weird. I wonder where they were when Discotheque was released to radio.

The worst thing is, without singles and promotion, people will call failure on albums because they don't hear the songs being played anywhere, and it sits in a record store gathering dust or their other albums selling while that one sits like a stunned mullet. There's quite a few I can think of; that have sold 15 million (Invincible) and five million (Chinese Democracy). Now, how much promotion did the record label and / or the artist(s) give for those two albums? Zero.

It just shows what you can do even if you don't promote. And plus, an album selling 10million plus in the 21st century is an achievement. Viva La Vida - I don't remember that much promotion for it yet it sold upwards of seven million. That's not exactly a radio-friendly album either, but you get the point. Maybe the generation of today just don't like an album that you have to get into. With music and every second word being ''fuck'', ''shit'', ''bitches'' etc etc *insert choice of cussing here* that gives instant gratification to those looking for an instant ego trip hit.

The thing is, the last album isn't a radio-friendly album, and considering most stations - well, those mainstream and 'pop music' ones in Australia anyway, don't play songs that go over four minutes, nine out of 11 songs on the album are over four minutes or a little bit over.

I think Moment of Surrender and No Line have already charted on some stations in Sweeden and The Netherlands - I wouldn't have expected that; but, they seem to be the most popular songs from the album and from the tour. It's a shame too that most have been confused by Unknown Caller and Being Born, considering they're the weirdest U2 songs in a long time, so if that's the way U2 are going, then unfortunately (or possibly fortunately) we're not gonna see their new music videos on TV or hear their new songs on the radio. Sure, we'll hear stuff like Where The Streets Have No Name and Vertigo and Beautiful Day, but not new songs - which is a pity because the new stuff is their best in a long, long, long time.

I swear U2 thought this was gonna be their biggest seller since The Joshua Tree. Unfortunately I hear nothing near as accessible as One Tree Hill or Exit.

And about Every Breaking Wave, Adam says had it been part of the album, it would have been too long, so they put it away for the next album.

I hope for no singles.

Probably wont happen, would be too good

I agree. Quit trying or put some quality over quantity. You can't improve a poor choice of a song by including nine remixes.
  6. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

As is what Bono told Rollingstone, the first single.

I'd like they didn't release any singles from this album - but then if people want it to be played on the mainstream radio stations and score a number one hit, you need singles, or at least a way to flog your new songs. Unless of course the song on the single is a dumbass choice - like Get On Your Boots, then people will hear it but it won't work as they'd like. As much as I love the song, unfortunately it seems a lot of people thought U2 had gone camp and weird. I wonder where they were when Discotheque was released to radio.

The worst thing is, without singles and promotion, people will call failure on albums because they don't hear the songs being played anywhere, and it sits in a record store gathering dust or their other albums selling while that one sits like a stunned mullet. There's quite a few I can think of; that have sold 15 million (Invincible) and five million (Chinese Democracy). Now, how much promotion did the record label and / or the artist(s) give for those two albums? Zero.

It just shows what you can do even if you don't promote. And plus, an album selling 10million plus in the 21st century is an achievement. Viva La Vida - I don't remember that much promotion for it yet it sold upwards of seven million. That's not exactly a radio-friendly album either, but you get the point. Maybe the generation of today just don't like an album that you have to get into. With music and every second word being ''fuck'', ''shit'', ''bitches'' etc etc *insert choice of cussing here* that gives instant gratification to those looking for an instant ego trip hit.

The thing is, the last album isn't a radio-friendly album, and considering most stations - well, those mainstream and 'pop music' ones in Australia anyway, don't play songs that go over four minutes, nine out of 11 songs on the album are over four minutes or a little bit over.

I think Moment of Surrender and No Line have already charted on some stations in Sweeden and The Netherlands - I wouldn't have expected that; but, they seem to be the most popular songs from the album and from the tour. It's a shame too that most have been confused by Unknown Caller and Being Born, considering they're the weirdest U2 songs in a long time, so if that's the way U2 are going, then unfortunately (or possibly fortunately) we're not gonna see their new music videos on TV or hear their new songs on the radio. Sure, we'll hear stuff like Where The Streets Have No Name and Vertigo and Beautiful Day, but not new songs - which is a pity because the new stuff is their best in a long, long, long time.

I swear U2 thought this was gonna be their biggest seller since The Joshua Tree. Unfortunately I hear nothing near as accessible as One Tree Hill or Exit.

And about Every Breaking Wave, Adam says had it been part of the album, it would have been too long, so they put it away for the next album.

[..]

I agree. Quit trying or put some quality over quantity. You can't improve a poor choice of a song by including nine remixes.

I understand what you're getting at, but I don't think it makes sense NOT to release singles. They need to make kick-ass videos and promote thier songs on hit shows (like they did on the O.C. and CSI).
  7. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]

I understand what you're getting at, but I don't think it makes sense NOT to release singles. They need to make kick-ass videos and promote thier songs on hit shows (like they did on the O.C. and CSI).

I agree, I just can't imagen no videos at all. I love to sit back and just watch the clips on tv.

8. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]

At least for this record they actually made three videos worth watching.

If No Line, Breathe or Moment of Surrender are singles, they could easily make a nine-minute short film. Breathe could be about a traveling salesman walking out into the streets singing his heart out, No Line could be a game of Pong with the little brick bats and every time one brick gets a point it flashes 'No Line!' on the screen and Moment of Surrender, it could show the band in different situations e.g. the ATM machine, the subway, tying themselves with wire and someone else letting the horses roam free.
  9. lol @ drew. I would actually like to see the video of the recording of the song. They recorded it basically in one take
  10. Originally posted by dieder:lol @ drew. I would actually like to see the video of the recording of the song. They recorded it basically in one take

Moment of Surrender? It's long enough to do a short film. Most of the songs that had films that I can remember ran from anywhere from six 40 minutes. That's what Linear was, I guess.
  11. and on topic again......

this guy at the @u2forum tells us that he knows a sound engineer at The Factory Studio's in Vancouver:

quote: "So i read this news the other day and my damn head nearly exploded! U2 recording in my city? I thought I have to hang out downtown for a very long time when they come. Then it pooped into my head. I know the sound engineer at The Factory Studio's.

They do infact have the studio book for an indefinite amount of time from roughly the 25th of October to mid November. I also talked and he said, he could probably get me in there to see them work their magic and quite possibly meet them. Needless to say, Im stupidly excited for October and no longer for 360, but to see the recording and mastering of Songs of Ascent!"

on http://www.thefactorystudios.com the following:

quote: "The Factory Studios are located in beautiful Vancouver British Columbia. Its central location provides the opportunity to enjoy the city’s main amenities. The Factory opened in the spring of 1995 in the former Little Mountain Sound Building. Since this time the studio has seen the likes of Marilyn Manson, Bad Company, Billy Talent, Holly McNarland, Yuca, Barney Bentall, and Zubot & Dawson to name a few.

The factory is home to a wonderful Neve 8048 console. This along with loads of vintage microphones and outboard gear proves to be a haven to producers, engineers, and the artists they work with.

The factory was nominated for 2006 recording studio of the year at the WCMA. Our engineers have been nominated twice for recording engineer of the year at The Juno awards in the past 3 years and 7 Junos have been handed out to the artists that have recorded at the factory."

Bring it on!

12. joost, that was on the link which posted Drew 2 or 3 days back. Promising