1. It‘s their ‚Night‘ Album. Masterpiece. Always brings back so many Memories - good ones, bad ones. Especially in Summertime my fav U2 Album. The Band has never been that creative and progressive since then. No Filler, just Killer Playlist.
  2. Not that i need a reason, but this is a very good reason to play it tonight 🥳
  3. In Zooropa era I became fan so it has special place in my heart. Still one of my favourite albums.
  4. Definitely one of my top tier albums too. Hard to believe I couldn't get into it at all for the first few months. I don't know what switch eventually flipped on in my brain, but I've absolutely adored this album ever since. The entire first half is just *perfect* (Lemon is my all-time favourite U2 song) and Dirty Day the highlight of side 2 for me.

It also has the best cover and produced the best set of videos IMO!

5. Nothing particularly special about this original CD release except for the sticker promoting the Zoomerang tour and what would be the iconic capturing of Zoo-Tv live in Sydney.

For me, The First Time is the stand out because of the religious imagery - "he gave me the keys to his kingdom coming, but I threw away the key" is such a heavy lyric; and provocative thought.
  6. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:[image]
    Nothing particularly special about this original CD release except for the sticker promoting the Zoomerang tour and what would be the iconic capturing of Zoo-Tv live in Sydney.

For me, The First Time is the stand out because of the religious imagery - "he gave me the keys to his kingdom coming, but I threw away the key" is such a heavy lyric; and provocative thought.
    I'm inclined to think this album is Bono's best lyrical work ever. It's full of incredible verses like the one you just pointed out. He hasn't written that well ever since.
  7. I think that's what elevates the 90s albums above everything else, his lyricism was at a creative high. There are multiple couplets in So Cruel for example that are simply sublime and many other songs that could be cited. We got into the noughties and he literally became an intellectual tortoise, writing some clunkers and truly banal lyrics. I know the Songs albums aren't popular with some but I think he did recover some of his songwriting ability with those two albums; although he still hasn't surpassed what he did on Zooropa and the albums either side of it.
  8. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:I think that's what elevates the 90s albums above everything else, his lyricism was at a creative high. There are multiple couplets in So Cruel for example that are simply sublime and many other songs that could be cited. We got into the noughties and he literally became an intellectual tortoise, writing some clunkers and truly banal lyrics. I know the Songs albums aren't popular with some but I think he did recover some of his songwriting ability with those two albums; although he still hasn't surpassed what he did on Zooropa and the albums either side of it.
    Absolutely. I was gonna mention that Zooropa might not be his peak as such, but more like the center of a three-peak crown with AB and POP. I've always considered Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me as one of Bono's top 5 lyrics ever, and it's right there in the middle of that whole era. And also agree about the Songs Of duple, he's gone a step above what he was writing in the past decade!
  9. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:I think that's what elevates the 90s albums above everything else, his lyricism was at a creative high. There are multiple couplets in So Cruel for example that are simply sublime and many other songs that could be cited. We got into the noughties and he literally became an intellectual tortoise, writing some clunkers and truly banal lyrics. I know the Songs albums aren't popular with some but I think he did recover some of his songwriting ability with those two albums; although he still hasn't surpassed what he did on Zooropa and the albums either side of it.
    They would never have released Zooropa,Passengers or Pop had AB been a flop the success of that album gave them the freedom to get as far away from U2 as possible ,a lot of that was down to Eno who wanted them to get away from the sound of a traditional rock band not all of it worked as some people missed the big anthems that they were renowned for.
  10. Watched Wings Of Desire lately, and I see Zooropa in context of that now, the angel only able to look and not feel, like reaching for an image on a screen, rejecting God, gods love, The Father, his father, taking a leap of faith away from faith, from certainty, into the arms of a lover for a human touch
  11. the mostly creative record from U2, no doubt
  12. Zooropa deserves it's own anniversary release at some stage. We'd all like to hear those studio outtakes and developments that turned into future songs.