1. True, for example, I think I Will Follow And A Day Without Me are both about suicide
  2. oh absolutely, here's Bono talking about the suicide aspect in I Will Follow. at 2:42

3. Yes. The mood, the groove, the wah-wah guitar effect, the bass, the consumerist/hedonistic lyrics contrasted with the baptismal/biblical imagery, the "then will there be no time for mourning..." ending...

Love all of it.
  4. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

Yes. The mood, the groove, the wah-wah guitar effect, the bass, the consumerist/hedonistic lyrics contrasted with the baptismal/biblical imagery, the "then will there be no time for mourning..." ending...

Love all of it.
    The Playboy Mansion is one of the best songs on the amazing Pop. Kinda the hidden treasure of the hidden treasure album imo. The song doesnt nearly get enough credit, wish they had played it live. Tbh, TPM and Staring at the Sun are the two songs that got me into Pop. Its probably in my top 25 fav by them
  5. Playboy mansion does sound pretty good it’s just some of they lyrics. Most of them I’m fine with but the opening few ‘if coke is a mystery, Michael Jackson history’ and ‘if OJ is more than a drink and. Big Mac bigger than you think’ I really think are poor and really to start a song of so badly is off putting. If they just changed they lyrics I’d be ok with the lyrics in general and the actual music I like.
  6. Honestly i can't stand TPBM it's too plodding for me.

I honestly like Miami cause of the guitar and drumbeat and honestly the lyrics aren't too horrid (it's mostly Bono describing miami circa 1996 which i like for some reason)

7. Yeah pretty much a lot of U2s songs can be interpreted lyrically to mean a lot of things.

E.g. being openly trans (MtF) i relate to the lyrics of Gone a lot (particularly the second verse). The whole song to me, while the lyrics were written from the perspective of being a rockstar I can easily reinterpret the lyrics about my experience as a trans woman

Basically the 1st verse is about going through life and realising that something is wrong but you don't know what it is or why. The chorus is realising you're trans leading into the 2nd verse which I've always related to in the sense of really really wanting to be a girl and as a result the actual transitioning process (you change your name but that's ok it's necessary).

The bridge + 3rd verse is a bit darker cause i always see it as telling someone close to you that you are trans and them rejecting it (specifically the 3rd verse is a message to those who reject you - cause they think they are 'free' to degrade you when really they're just being a bit awful - i.e. greedy).

Anyway that's a queer perspective of Gone - could write a longer one but I'm on the train atm and cbf
  8. Originally posted by GayThePrayAway:[..]

Yeah pretty much a lot of U2s songs can be interpreted lyrically to mean a lot of things.

E.g. being openly trans (MtF) i relate to the lyrics of Gone a lot (particularly the second verse). The whole song to me, while the lyrics were written from the perspective of being a rockstar I can easily reinterpret the lyrics about my experience as a trans woman

Basically the 1st verse is about going through life and realising that something is wrong but you don't know what it is or why. The chorus is realising you're trans leading into the 2nd verse which I've always related to in the sense of really really wanting to be a girl and as a result the actual transitioning process (you change your name but that's ok it's necessary).

The bridge + 3rd verse is a bit darker cause i always see it as telling someone close to you that you are trans and them rejecting it (specifically the 3rd verse is a message to those who reject you - cause they think they are 'free' to degrade you when really they're just being a bit awful - i.e. greedy).

Anyway that's a queer perspective of Gone - could write a longer one but I'm on the train atm and cbf
    it's good that you can find something within those lyrics

fuck the people who hold prejudices

good luck with your continuing journey
  9. Originally posted by GayThePrayAway:[..]

Yeah pretty much a lot of U2s songs can be interpreted lyrically to mean a lot of things.

Yeah thats what I like about lyrics, everyone can give their own meaning to it.
  10. And honestly while I'm male to female, it can equally apply for trans men and for non-binary people
  11. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]
    it's good that you can find something within those lyrics

fuck the people who hold prejudices

good luck with your continuing journey
    Aww thanks

12. Sleep Like A Baby is mostly about priests abusing children. (Not sure where you guys took the suicide interpretation from).

Twilight has never been discussed much but to me it's like the soundtrack to NAMBLA. If you don't know what NAMLBA is, Google it and tell me "Old man tried to walk me home, I thought he should have known // Twilight, lost my way, can't find my way // In the shadow boy meets man, in the shadow" doesn't sound like that kind of situation.