1. Originally posted by MattG:[..]
    This is very fair - the same thing has happened to me on occasion...maybe a more thorough reporting of the snippet in the "show info" is more suitable? Standard snippets, like "Send In the Clowns" or even the god forbid "Rock n Roll Radio" snippet don't really need to be referenced, but every time a somewhat unexpected snippet popped up, a small note at the bottom of the show referenced what it was?

It would still be logged as a snippet, but it'd be worth noting at the bottom,

"During IGWSHA, Bono sang the first line of Ultraviolet, but did not continue"
    I know how you feel. I try to state that in the reviews, to stop other users getting fooled, like "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" in All I Want Is You during Vertigo. Just Bono saying the title, nothing else.
    But I do love those damn snippets.
  2. Favorite ones recently have been "My Sweet Lord" in MW and "Only Rock N Roll" in Vertigo, BOTH of which I got during the Chicago residency!
  3. I think one of my all time favorites is Jungleland at the end of MOS on 360 Miami... The night after Clarence Clemons passed. It was more spoken word, but long enough for snippet classification. And they did My Sweet Lord in Atlanta on Elevation the night after George Harrison died... Come to think about it, I have a knack for being at U2 shows the night after iconic musicians pass. Glad I missed Vancouver this time around!
  4. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:I think one of my all time favorites is Jungleland at the end of MOS on 360 Miami... The night after Clarence Clemons passed. It was more spoken word, but long enough for snippet classification. And they did My Sweet Lord in Atlanta on Elevation the night after George Harrison died... Come to think about it, I have a knack for being at U2 shows the night after iconic musicians pass. Glad I missed Vancouver this time around!
    But still, BB King passed away after the first show.
  5. Snippets are U2's way of avoiding having to play full songs. They expect most fans are gullible enough to not see through the deceit.

Some fans subscribe to know better.
  6. I dont agree with that. I dont think they view their fans as gullible.
  7. Originally posted by MattG:Favorite ones recently have been "My Sweet Lord" in MW and "Only Rock N Roll" in Vertigo, BOTH of which I got during the Chicago residency!
    HAHAHAHA oh man.

This is from 4 years ago. You legend

Originally posted by MattG:Only ones that do it for me at all anymore are My Sweet Lord in MW and It's Only Rock n' Roll (But I Like It) in Vertigo.

I guess the ones at the end of BD can be alright too. Sgt. Pepper is the only one that really stands out to me...Blackbird is tired.

I really wish Bono would be doing Elvis Costello's "Pump it Up" either at the end of Boots or Vertigo...fits perfectly in both songs. I believe he's snippeted it twice in Vertigo, it's been fantastic.
  8. I love them

I prefer snippets about non U2 songs...for that i prefer full songs or some kind of medley
    I think that snippets give new life( specially if the snippets are rotate like Vertigo on Vertigo tour and Beatiful day on V tour too ) for some tired songs ... SBS since 2001 with the snippets are ok . The same to Still havetn found or even Streets . Some snippets during thefly were awesome ... those MJ snippets on Angel of harlem on 360 were great
    U2 was maybe the first band i ever heard so because U2 snippets i knew a lot of bands ( and for the covers too) ... I remenber listening to a Lovetown tour show during Angel of Harlem they playes a long Suspicius minds snippet . At first i didn t knew the song , some time later i discovered Elvis . The same with Dylan, Lou Reed , some songs by the Beatles that i didn t knew before , adn many others
  9. I always used to view snippets based on how Bono states in U2byU2 that they "get to finish songs live". I think the discussion in the book was around how he always thought Bad, probably the song with the most snippets, was unfinished on the album and he was able to add to it live to finish it in his own way.

To me this applies to songs like Bad (maybe) and maybe One, and Electric Co, and With or Without You. Bono has either added his own little verse or line or used someone elses, and that's cool. Those songs all either start or end with a bit of a blank slate, maybe Electric Co being the only one of their songs that they've actually added a part musically to for the purposes of a snippet.

I can't help but feel like it's become a bit much. Like why snippet their own songs so much when they can just play them live? Why snippet Ultraviolet in BD or MOS in Bad when they could easily just play them live and please the fans even more?

Another example is the Discotheque snippet in some of the Crazy Tonight performances last tour. Guaranteed actually playing Discotheque or rotating it in that spot would please a lot more people than a crowd who either doesn't know or care about the crazy remix.

There's something to be said for keeping a song true to form, and while some songs may call or allow for something interesting to be thrown in, there's also over indulgence and snippeting for the sake of snippeting.

As a final note, I would trade in all of those snippets just to have Bono add the ones he's written himself to the songs that need them (One and WOWY).
  10. Don't mind stupid plain English errors, I make mistakes when I write paragraphs from my phone :p