1. I maintain that while Pop is awesome, it sounds unfinished, but judging by the songs they did go back and finish (the "new mixes") it would've been up there with JT and AB had they the time.
  2. Happy 25th anniversary to Discotheque πŸ₯³πŸ₯³. I know the single was released in february, but today 25 years ago it was first played at radiostations
  3. Originally posted by Zwervervriend:Happy 25th anniversary to Discotheque πŸ₯³πŸ₯³. I know the single was released in february, but today 25 years ago it was first played at radiostations
     Larry Flick from Billboard wrote, "Twenty seconds into this playfully experimental single, and you'll find it hard to remember that this is the same band that recorded 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'." He said that the song "wriggles and writhes with tripped-out techno-funk intensity" and that the hook "sneaks up on you while you are twitching to the percolating dance beat or snarfing up the tasty guitar scratching offered by the Edge". Flick concluded, "'Discotheque' may start its life at modern rock radio and in clubs, but it sure does sound like the kind of fun and unique record that top 40 desperately needs."
    Pretty much sums it up.
  4. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
     Larry Flick from Billboard wrote, "Twenty seconds into this playfully experimental single, and you'll find it hard to remember that this is the same band that recorded 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'." He said that the song "wriggles and writhes with tripped-out techno-funk intensity" and that the hook "sneaks up on you while you are twitching to the percolating dance beat or snarfing up the tasty guitar scratching offered by the Edge". Flick concluded, "'Discotheque' may start its life at modern rock radio and in clubs, but it sure does sound like the kind of fun and unique record that top 40 desperately needs."
    Pretty much sums it up.
    Yep nothing to add 😁
  5. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:I maintain that while Pop is awesome, it sounds unfinished, but judging by the songs they did go back and finish (the "new mixes") it would've been up there with JT and AB had they the time.
    The most expensive demo album ever lol
  6. I really liked Pop back in 1997.
    The Netherlands and the most of Europe were going through their Hardcore / Rave music fase and I was heavily into that. I thought it was smart of U2 to step up their game and use up tempo beats. It really blew my mind when I first heard Mofo and Discotheque.

I remember a Dutch store called Kruidvat had the CD on it’s release on sale for Hfl. 5,- (Dutch Guilders) which was really cheap. CD’s regularly cost Hfl. 45,- back in the days.
    It was illegal what they did, using grey import, but it was a bargain for me.
    I still own that copy of that CD.
  7. How to appreciate Pop (from someone who hated it at the time and nearly gave up on U2) - ignore the sound and concentrate on the lyrics. The 90s trilogy was the peak of Bono's lyricism, with none better than So Cruel but then he lost his way as he got caught up in all his extra-curricular activities. There are some absolute clunkers on the next three albums and far less gems.
  8. My expectations are low, but I still hope they will 'celebrate' the 25th anniversary of this LP this year. Give us some raw versions/alternate mixes/demos please.
  9. Originally posted by RememberEveryMoment:My expectations are low, but I still hope they will 'celebrate' the 25th anniversary of this LP this year. Give us some raw versions/alternate mixes/demos please.
    they already remastered Pop on vinyl in 2019 on an orange edition, and they released the album remastered on digital in 2017. They won’t probably do anything about Pop this year, also because Pop is the album that U2 dislike the most
  10. I started to listen to U2 at the very beginning of 1997 and when POP was released, I loved Discotheque and Staring at The Sun instantly and really fell in love with the whole album very quickly. I remember fondly how I couldn't get enough of all those strange Larry's drumming patterns (especially on Please). It instatntly became my second favourite U2 album after Achtung Baby and it still is. Guess I don't have to learn to appreciate it.

Unfortunately during my 13 U2 live shows I haven't heard a single song form POP live.

I haven't seen any of the PopMart shows (obviously) and I remember that when a friend of mine recorded a 1 hour long Mexico concert for me from HBO in 1997(?), I was disappointed, didn't like it much, I felt like Bono's performance was very poor and I didn't like the visuals much either. When it was released on DVD years later, I bought it and liked it a lot, and I still do, still play it every now and then and always enjoy it a lot. Till this day I have no idea, whether they made a different mix or whether I just started to see / hear it differently.
  11. There is not a way to appreciate it
    If you like it,you like it
    If you don’t,you don’t
    Personally first time I heard Discotheque on the radio i was very surprised and I didn’t like it at all
    It’s been growing listen after listen but nowadays it’s not an album that i play start to finish
    Got some real gems like Please,Wake up or Gone but I would cut it into two different mini albums
    PopTunes :
    Discotheque
    Do you feel loved
    Mofo
    Miami
    Playboy

And another one which I couldn’t title:
    Staring
    Last night
    Gone
    Please
    Wake up