1. Originally posted by yuri31:This one is sick. There are many stand-out songs from their experimental era, but Zooropa is right at the top of them all. A work of genius.

Well Lemon is a better song, but I guess Zooropa is more experimental.

2. lol....I'd think exactly the other way around

3. Same here, most definitely. I don't like Lemon as much as the general masses seem to...but I'll agree that it may be their most experimental track ever.
  4. Originally posted by yuri31:Bono certainly must have been in some difficult state of mind when he wrote the line 'I have no religion'. He's never doubtful about God.

I think the point he's trying to make is that he's at peace with the idea of God, but not so much with the idea of religion.
  5. I'm still really caught up in...

Zooropa...
    It could be yours tonight

I can't figure what Zooropa IS. Freedom? Loss of inhibitions?
  6. Originally posted by haytrain:[..]

I think the point he's trying to make is that he's at peace with the idea of God, but not so much with the idea of religion.

+1

7. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:[..]

Same here, most definitely. I don't like Lemon as much as the general masses seem to...but I'll agree that it may be their most experimental track ever.

Don't worry one day you'll just get Lemon and recognise it's grandeur. I also much preferred Zooropa over Lemon for a long time.

Zooropa is more experimental though being a combination of three distinct songs and with the advertising slogans etc. Lemon is mostl experimental die to Bonos falsetto, the song itself is pretty linear.

I would agree that Lemon is harder to like and less accessible than Zooropa though, perhaps that's why you think it's more experimental.
  8. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Don't worry one day you'll just get Lemon and recognise it's grandeur. I also much preferred Zooropa over Lemon for a long time.

Zooropa is more experimental though being a combination of three distinct songs and with the advertising slogans etc. Lemon is mostl experimental die to Bonos falsetto, the song itself is pretty linear.

I would agree that Lemon is harder to like and less accessible than Zooropa though, perhaps that's why you think it's more experimental.

I'll accept what you've said about me not getting it yet...lord knows it happens to me enough with other U2 songs. But what I find interesting about it is that I LOVE 'Lemon" on the ZooTV Sydney DVD...the way it starts, with that dance-whir of a siren, and the whole band seems to be dancing as one...it really truly feels like night life on stage.

I just can't grasp the studio cut yet.
  9. Originally posted by yuri31:Bono certainly must have been in some difficult state of mind when he wrote the line 'I have no religion'. He's never doubtful about God.

Err, Bono isn't singing about himself, it's just another reference to the rampant materialism and lack of spirituality of modern society.
    He's characterising the denizens of 'Zooropa' who have no religion, no direction or purpose to their lives ("and I have no compass") are never satisfied with what they have and always want more

10. Zooropa is everything, its just above all. It's what once was, what it is now and what it will once be in the future.

Its here right now, you can feel it, but you cant touch it. Its happy and sad at the same time. Its good and bad. Its apples and oranges.

It's space, it's time, it's the universe. It's Europe, but also America, Oceania, Asia and Africa. Its water, its the air, its fire. It can be a bird in the sky and the next moment its a little rock on the beach.

It's Zooropa
  11. Originally posted by markp91:[..]

Zooropa is everything, its just above all. It's what once was, what it is now and what it will once be in the future.

Its here right now, you can feel it, but you cant touch it. Its happy and sad at the same time. Its good and bad. Its apples and oranges.

It's space, it's time, it's the universe. It's Europe, but also America, Oceania, Asia and Africa. Its water, its the air, its fire. It can be a bird in the sky and the next moment its a little rock on the beach.

It's Zooropa

So is it about/speaking to someone who feels nothing, or THINKS they feel nothing, and then realize that they can have Zooropa? I just don't think it would be that widespread of an idea if it weren't addressing that type of person...for it to just be an open message that Zooropa=everything you can possibly imagine would be almost a cop-out with all of those fantastic lyrics.

Also, just found this- AMAZING editing in this one, guys, you have to see it.

12. Originally posted by EyesWithPrideB3:[..]

I'll accept what you've said about me not getting it yet...lord knows it happens to me enough with other U2 songs. But what I find interesting about it is that I LOVE 'Lemon" on the ZooTV Sydney DVD...the way it starts, with that dance-whir of a siren, and the whole band seems to be dancing as one...it really truly feels like night life on stage.

I just can't grasp the studio cut yet.

I love Lemon live it is absoultely stunning, so much energy I love how Bono and Edge harmonize on the chorus.

Album version is definitely much harder to get into, at first I thought the live version was way better but you come to realise that the album version has it's own ethereal beauty.

Perhaps listen to the single edit, it's shorter and is more like the live version in terms of arrangement.

I am actually waiting for the Zooropa remaster hopefully they'll make Lemon a little louder and clearer so we can here Edges cascading waves of guitar better ( which somehow mimic waves of light)

Also Lemon live is way better than Zooropa live which is underwhelming compared to the album version.