1. Reading over the comments here there isn't much talk about what I thought the band meant by the word 'Zooropa'. Isn't it supposed to be a mix of 'Zoo' and Europe/ Europa', the idea that the EU would become a closer community? Zoos function as having a collection of different animals, or here European states, that are side by side and build something greater than the whole.

I don't think; 'Vorsprung durch technik', 'better by design' and 'fly the friendly skies' were just there for the basic advertising slogan purpose. The band seem to be giving the thumbs up for the EU project not least for the future tax purposes

For me though I've always interpreted it as a backhanded pop at the modern world; a generation being bombarded by the aforementioned advertising on how to have a better life. We're told about a better life, that there's quick cures to it ('eat to get slimmer', lotto - 'it could be yours tonight') and the sense of isolation and disenchantment that inevitably follows (no compass/ map/ religion/ dunno what's what).

The last segment is what I truly love:
    'It's gonna be alright, you've got the right shoes to get you through the night'
    'Uncertainty can be a guiding light'

This was 90's U2 though, when the Bono sloganeering wasn't yet in full prime and when there's so much left open to interpretation. I can almost imagine future generations in school trying to interpret these 'poets' in the same way we read the likes of Wordsworth, Syliva Plath etc. now.
  2. One thing that has always stumped me is the lyrics around the 'What do you want?' segment at 3.05. According to the site it's:

(What do you want?)
    (No sound now)
    (What do you want?)
    (Don't put you down)
    (What do you want?)
    (No sound now)

I've always heard something more like:
    'Push out girl'
    'So what's your style?
    'Push out girl'

Anyone an expert at walkie talkies/ a taxi driver?
  3. Am I the only one who finds the whispering at the beginning, which Tim is referring to, kinda creepy?

Great song this, for me in U2's top 5.
  4. Originally posted by bartajax:Am I the only one who finds the whispering at the beginning, which Tim is referring to, kinda creepy?

Great song this, for me in U2's top 5.

I heard that song for the first time when I was ~ 12 years old and it scared the sh** out of me, (other times) so yes.
  5. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:HAHAHAHAHA! Sorry, Sergio and his inside jokes for Spanish speaking people.
    Well spotted, my friend!
    By the way, another instance of Bono "singing in Spanish" is in One:
    You see, people got it wrong, it's not "To drag the past out into the light", he sings "Te traigo pasta into the light" (I bring you pasta into the light)

Ok, enough with the inside jokes.

C'mon, you cannot tell me you hadn't heard the Bombona de butano on the Sydney DVD!!!

The One line is epic
  6. Originally posted by KaiserJose:Reading over the comments here there isn't much talk about what I thought the band meant by the word 'Zooropa'. Isn't it supposed to be a mix of 'Zoo' and Europe/ Europa', the idea that the EU would become a closer community? Zoos function as having a collection of different animals, or here European states, that are side by side and build something greater than the whole.

I don't think; 'Vorsprung durch technik', 'better by design' and 'fly the friendly skies' were just there for the basic advertising slogan purpose. The band seem to be giving the thumbs up for the EU project not least for the future tax purposes

For me though I've always interpreted it as a backhanded pop at the modern world; a generation being bombarded by the aforementioned advertising on how to have a better life. We're told about a better life, that there's quick cures to it ('eat to get slimmer', lotto - 'it could be yours tonight') and the sense of isolation and disenchantment that inevitably follows (no compass/ map/ religion/ dunno what's what).

The last segment is what I truly love:
    'It's gonna be alright, you've got the right shoes to get you through the night'
    'Uncertainty can be a guiding light'

This was 90's U2 though, when the Bono sloganeering wasn't yet in full prime and when there's so much left open to interpretation. I can almost imagine future generations in school trying to interpret these 'poets' in the same way we read the likes of Wordsworth, Syliva Plath etc. now.

I always thought of Zooropa as 'the world is a zoo' = the world is going crazy...and then all these mesmerising adverts
  7. Originally posted by KaiserJose:One thing that has always stumped me is the lyrics around the 'What do you want?' segment at 3.05. According to the site it's:

[..]

I've always heard something more like:
    'Push out girl'
    'So what's your style?
    'Push out girl'

Anyone an expert at walkie talkies/ a taxi driver?

I hear something similar. "Watch out girl" is what I've always heard it as.
  8. Ah, so that's what your asking? Watch out girl is what I've always thought too
  9. That's not what I'm asking Sergio
  10. A united Germany / Berlin could've had something to do with it too.

About the whispering : not a clue.

11. Well, in this side of the Atlantic, no one says "bombona", we just say "tanque".
  12. How perfect is this song? It blows my fucking head